In Memory of Jiah Quayle


It is with heavy hearts and sadness we announce the passing of sarcoma warrior Jiah Quayle.  Jiah’s mindset throughout his journey was, “You have the choice every day to either, think positive and be positive or let the negative thoughts drag you down. It’s really a choice that you have, and I choose not to dwell on the negative.”  Jaih was an active member of the community, devoted father, loving husband and always willing to help anyone with no expectation of anything in return.  Jiah is a true fighter and inspiration for everyone.  


Please read more about Jaih’s fight and journey written by his loving wife, Jamie:  

About 4 years ago I was rubbing Jiah's feet after work and I noticed a really small lump in his left foot. I asked him about it, but he figured he hurt himself at work and we didn't think anything more of if. Gradually his foot began to hurt more often and he would go to the chiropractor thinking his arch was out. He would get it adjusted and feel better and return to work just fine. By March of 2014 the bottom of his foot, under his arch, had gotten so big and was so painful we knew we needed to do something. His primary care physician sent us up to OHSU to have a biopsy done to see what was going on. Dr Doung met with us and gave us a few different ideas of what this could be, sarcoma cancer being the worst. She then took multiple samples out of the bottom of his foot. We soon found out that Jiah did in fact have synovial cell sarcoma in his foot.

Jiah's had his leg up to his mind shin amputated, then under went 15 weeks of chemo. That time was very hard but he showed only a positive attitude and a positive outlook on the entire situation.  Jiah had 3 clear scans and we were hopeful that we had beat his cancer. Unfortunately, the cancer returned but this time to his lungs.

We then signed up for a trial in Seattle that had the potential of getting rid of the cancer. Unfortunately, that did not work and we found ourselves back at OSHU and willing to do whatever the doctors suggested.

When in for a routine scan the doctor noticed that Jiah had a very large pnumothorax on his left side. He was given a chest tube and admitted for a few days.  Jiah's then went into another trial where he was taking 2 different types of chemo hoping to maximize the effects and really get rid of this thing. This weakened his immune system and he ended up getting pneumonia and was taken off of chemo so that he could get better. Thanksgiving that year was spent in the hospital.

The period of time he was off of chemo really hurt him though and one of his tumors in his lungs grew very large very quickly, 11cmx6cm.  But the time he was feeling strong enough to start chemo up again the trail was no longer an option. Our oncologist suggested 10 rounds of radiation to that large spot and then he began taking the pill form of chemo again everyday.


In February of 2017 he suffered for yet another pnumothorax and was admitted to the Newport hospital. Unfortunately, as a side effect from the radiation his esophagus would hurt very had when swallowing so for a period of time eating was difficult and he lost precious weight.   On March 11th Jiah began coughing up blood. I called for the ambulance and they rushed him to Newport where he was stabilized. The decision was made to then send him on to Corvallis, who then decided that he would be in better hands back at OSHU. So that's where we went. We stayed for 2 days and Jiah was feeling great. He was eating and up and walking. Laughing and talking with family. Unfortunately on the 13th, cancer took him from us.

He leaves behind his wife Jamie, and five kids Dyllan, Shailee, Nakiah, Jacob, and Paisley. As well as his parents, siblings and other family and friends.  He is missed beyond measure. And not a day goes by that we won't be thinking about him.

What I do have to say is although he was thrown many curve balls, he never gave up. He never felt sorry for his situation. He kept running his construction company. He kept coaching our son in basketball and baseball. He kept living and loving. I think that is how you make it through this, or at least maximize you time. You can't give up. He truly thought he was going to beat this thing and so did everyone around him.

This year we will walk at the Dragonslayer walk in his honor.



You may support the Quayle family directly at their GoFundMe page here

Guidestar Gold Logo

Share Your Sarcoma Stories

If you would like to share your story or make a tribute, please send us your personal sarcoma experience (max. ~500 words), 2 photos (high quality) or link to a YouTube video. Please submit materials to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


 Cancel Cancer Team Jumping for joy

Help us END SARCOMA and ensure 

Save the fees!  Donate via Paypal and they
will give 101% of your donation to us,
no fees! (Details)

Giving From a Donor Advised Fund (DAF)? 

Our Tax ID: 91-1717600